Readings I Recommend

  • Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
  • Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  • Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
  • It's Beginning to Hurt by James Lasdun
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Man Who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
  • Identity by Milan Kundera
  • A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
  • Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

Additional Blogs I Recommend

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 18; 6:18AM

The beginning of this dream is very hazy, however I remember that it began in the forest just around sunset. It was very pretty and the colors I remember most are orange and green. I was with my friend, D. This beginning part had something to do with her escaping, although I'm not sure why or what from.

What I remember vividly is the final scene of the dream. It began with us running through a field, just around twilight, towards an abandoned house which, in the dream, was where she lived. The whole scene was very blue, and I remember the moon rising in the sky to my left no matter what direction I faced. Once we reached the house, I chased her into various rooms, passing through opaque beams of white moonlight flooding in through the windows. She ran into the bathroom, dingy and rusted, and jumped in the bathtub against the faucet. We sat there for awhile, not saying anything. She spoke the first words, "When the water runs you know I'm gone". Her words fell dead on me, not quite understanding, so I asked her to explain what she meant. She replies, "I can't" then her expression falls flat. As I adjust my position in the tub, I notice the rising water level, now up to my waist.

2 comments:

  1. "...I chased her into various rooms, passing through opaque beams of white moonlight flooding in through the windows."

    This felt so beautiful and wistful to me. It reminded me of those moments in where everything just feels perfect-- the air is clean and the joy is simple, and you never want the night to end. Even the words you chose to use sound like poetry.

    I chased her into rooms
    and beams of white moonlight
    were flooding in the windows.

    And when the water runs
    away you know
    I'm gone.


    Dammit, Ryan, BE A POET.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see those lines that way when I wrote the draft for this. I have just seen my writings in a different way. I always learn from you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete